Friday, June 30, 2006

Remember the Name (Charlie)

Charlie here. That is, Charlie of 'Charlie and Nina.' It's weird to have to tag my wife's name onto mine in order to properly identify myself, but hey, at least I was smart enough to put my name first.

I'm a media kind of guy. By that I mean that I'm inspired, informed, critical of, technically curious about, and generally just interested in all kinds of media (especially what is termed "new media"). I'm not quite a glutton for it (nor do I work in The Biz), sticking to what suits me as most people do. Lately, I've been playing Fort Minor's The Rising Tied non-stop and in a a moment of strange insanity, changed some of the words to the song "Remember the Name" in order to introduce myself here. I guess it helps to know the song, but I've highlighted my edits so that anybody could read it and get the point.

Oh and if you haven't listened to the album (perhaps hip-hop/rap is not your cup of tea), at least check out the track "Kenji" which is about Mike Shinoda's family's experience with internment and resettlement during/after WWII. He mixed in audio of his family's story with his own rap/reflection. Really well done and meaningful to me as a Rice Daddy. You can read about it here.


This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill

Fifteen percent concentrated power of will

Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain

And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Chuck! - He doesn't need his name up in lights

He just wants to be heard whether it's the beat or the mic

He feels so unlike everybody else, alone

In spite of the fact that some people still think that they know him

Computers, he knows the code

It's not about the salary

It's all about reality and making some noise

Makin the story - makin sure his blog stays up

That means when he puts it down Nina's pickin it up! let's go!

Who the hell is he anyway?

He never really talks much

Never concerned with status but still leavin them star struck

Humbled through opportunities given to him despite the fact

That many misjudge him because he makes a livin from typing CAPS

Put it together himself, now the picture connects

Never askin for someone's help, to get some respect

He's only focused on what he wrote, his will is beyond reach

And now when it all unfolds, the skill of an artist

It's just twenty percent skill

Eighty percent fear

Be one hundred percent clear cause Charlie, is ill

Who would've thought that he'd be the one to set the west in flames

And I saw him pleading to the LA Angels, "Please win the game!"

Came home called Scioscia back, took him to church

I like wins man, why'd you have to lose in the first?

This dude is the truth, now everybody be givin him guest spots

His stock's through the roof I heard he chillin with K.Rod!

No comments: