Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cooking Making a Comeback



Since Vincent posted about food, I thought I'd post too. I don't think it's possible to overstate the importance of food when you're a parent. Here it is (originally from bigwowo.com):

Cool article in CNN today: Food 101: Seeking Clues in the Kitchen. In the article, the writer Stephanie Chen writes about the new movement spearheaded by Jamie Oliver and Michelle Obama to bring good food back into the national conversation. According to the article, even though people eat food in restaurants, read about food, or watch the Food Network, there are many people who still do not know how to cook. Lack of culinary awareness contributes to all kinds of problems. From Jamie Oliver:

"If you don't know how to cook, then you have no options," writes Oliver to CNN. "You're forced into a series of bad choices and a diet of mostly processed foods ... cooking skills are life skills and just as important as knowing how to manage your money."


I started cooking years ago when I realized how much cheaper it is than eating out (yup, the quickest way to get my attention). At a restaurant you're paying mostly for labor and decor. Quality is better when you make it yourself, AND you know exactly what goes into your food. It's by far the healthier choice. When you have kids, I also think it's important to provide them with home cooked meals so that they develop a proper appreciation for healthy food.

Check out the article above. If you're new to cooking, there's a small photo section that shows basic kitchen skills. The article also links to an Asian American food critic who teaches quick recipes from the blender (if anyone tries these, let me know how it turns out. I'm not much of a blender person. I should've bought the Vita-Mix.)

1 comment:

Scary Mommy said...

Now, I'm hungry! :)

P.S. Congrats on your Parents Picks pre-nomination! Go, you!! http://www.parentsconnect.com/parents-picks/best-parenting-blogs