Friday, October 14, 2011

New Rice Daddy

Howdy folks. I'm a new edition to the blog, so I wanted to introduce myself.

My name's Chris Fan, and I'm the proud father of a 5 1/2 month-old boy named Eliot. When I'm not making excuses to stay at home and play with him, I'm working on my dissertation in the English department at UC Berkeley. My wife's a legal aid attorney in Oakland, where we live. We also have two Taiwanese Mountain Dogs. One's named Agatha, and the other is Bao Bao (寶寶). She's shy but dominant; he's still figuring out his place in the world.

I was invited to contribute to the blog because of an article I wrote for the Hyphen Magazine blog called "On Engaged Fatherhood." It was mostly a rambling bit about how engaged fathers aren't the norm, and the double standards for fathers and mothers, but the main point was to send some love in the direction of a Kickstarter project called Oh Oh, Baby Boy! -- a children's book by Oakland artist Janine Macbeth that celebrates "engaged" fatherhood. (There's still about 48 hours left in her campaign! Please donate and get your copy of the book!)

Anyway, that's probably enough of an intro. I've been following this blog since Eliot was born, so I'm totally stoked to be a contributor now, along with all these other amazing dads!

Ok, now for a shameless photo of Eliot.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Adorable! Power to the daddy blogs too!

I was wondering would you be interested in sharing your articles with other like-minded parent bloggers? If yes, please email me at info@atomicreach.com with Parents in the subject line.
Thanks,
Anne

Yasmina said...

That is the most beautiful little boy I have ever seen. He is so classic, a rare kind nowadays. I don't follow every post in this website simply because they are not "rice" enough for me, an old Chinese lady. But shall come back from time to time, so keep up good work, guys!

Tim said...

Hey Chris,

I should check out your Hyphen article. I've been an on-off reader.

And Congratulations for being a new dad and a new rice daddy blogger.

I've been thinking about what "Engagement" looks like -- would it be too "male" is to be drawing ideas from how corporate engagement looks like?

Hope to connect more!