Sunday, July 01, 2012

Vincent Chin, Danny Chen, and Coping with Betrayal

Originally Posted at http://cranialgunk.com/blog/2012/06/30/vincent-and-danny-and-coping-with-betrayal/



Last weekend marked the 30th Anniversary of the murder of Vincent Chin. The week that lead up to it was filled with posts from across the blogosphere about Vincent and the legacy of how little Judge Kaufman valued the life of a Chinese American versus the lives of the two white men murdered who him. He said, "These weren't the kind of men you send to jail." And if he were alive today, I would ask him, "Was Vincent the kind man that deserved to be bludgeoned to death?"

Bao Phi's opinion piece in the Star Tribune has been one of my favorite references when thinking about Vincent. Another favorite reference is Curtis Chin's documentary, Vincent Who? Released several years before, Curtis' film addresses the legacy of Vincent Chin and Judge Kaufman's verdict.
(I think the opening of the trailer says it all.)



And of course, there is Christina Choy's Who Killed Vincent Chin? It was the first film I saw about the case and (as far as I know) for a very long time the only film made about the case.

I was in high school in '82, the year Vincent was murdered. Billy Idol and Duran Duran, I was dealing with my own issues at the time. But as much taunting and teasing as I got for the clothes I wore and the songs I listened to, race was rarely an issue. I grew up in racially, ethnically, religiously diverse Queens. It wasn't until I meet Curtis several years after college in the '90s that Vincent Chin became an "issue".
But even after meeting Curtis and others since and learning more about Vincent Chin, I don't know that I would have answered any differently if someone were to come up to me and ask me, if I've heard of Vincent Chin?

Judge Kaufman's betrayal of justice ignited a national Asian American movement that positively changed the way I saw myself but Vincent Chin is not part of my daily psyche. I imagine, if approached, I would try to identify someone I might know personally before I would identify someone from modern history.

As a father, it my duty to tell my children that there are people out there who will hate them simply because they "look" Chinese. But my children are young, so I am just as responsible for imparting to them the faith that overall people regardless of race or religion are good. Among my challenges in fatherhood is maintaining the balance between my children having a strong sense of what the "real world" is like with what the "real world" could be. I want them to believe in their neighbors, while at the same time cautious with how quickly they embrace them.



I didn't know Danny Chen but his death has had a lingering effect on me. Danny Chen, 19 years old, enlisted in the US Army (despite the protests of his parents), allegedly committed suicide after enduring months of humiliation and torture at the hands of his Brothers in Arms.

It definitely has something to do with how young he looks in the picture that the news uses whenever they speak about him. I know he's 18 or 19 in the photo but with a little more fat on his face, he could be the same age as my kids (maybe a little older but not much more). His growing up in Chinatown and his parents speaking the same dialect as mine only adds to the sadness I feel and the worry -- the worry that my kids might be the next victims…

As disappointing as it is to have to teach my children that inevitably they will have to endure racist comments, I'm confident I can manage it. But how do I teach my children about betrayal? What makes the Danny Chen case so much more upsetting -- and why it lingers -- is his tormentors were people he was supposed to be able to rely on -- his Brothers in Arms…

Have you ever been cheated on? Have you ever felt betrayed? How do you teach that? How do you teach your children to deal?



I dug around online but the closest I came to "professional" advice was this post at Scholastic.com. It details the stages of friendship but does not offer any advice on coping with betrayal or when "clubs" shift. The author does say the parent should be supportive of the child and if there are problems go to the child's teacher but there is no instruction on talking to your child about betrayal before it happens.

That's why I like Nikki's song so much. In addition to being musically good on its own, its lyrics are offer good advice on coping with betrayal.

And while the chorus is
The one you love might be the one to let you down every time.
That ain't right, no, that ain't right.
So just be sure you can survive without no one by your side.
'Cause in life, the strong survive.
I don't interpret it to mean "prepare yourself for a life of loneliness and antisocial behavior." I interpret it as a statement on resolve -- Be resolute and confident in who you are. Be yourself. Cultivate yourself. And Live.
They hurt you, they sliced at the threads of your life but what's tearing
you apart is holding on to being right.
Forgiving is hard, like breaking through prison bars but the healing
wont start til you let go of the scars.
Strong people forgive and get the pain out their system
Weak people relive and they keep playing the victim.
People always told us keep our enemies close, but I'd rather keep my
distance than be phoney to a foe.
Best wisdom to own is knowing when to let go, but that's something u
already know.

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice and interesting blog, all video clippings are, also nice....thanks for sharing..keep on sharing...

Get Youtube Views

essay best said...

You’re pacing your work with your brilliant efforts and this is one of your brilliant efforts to put this stuff here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Really sad to know about the death of Danny Chen at a very young age. But the videos and voice is beautiful. Memories will always remain in the mind and eyes of his fans. Really liked the idea of sharing his videos.

Stephen said...

NTS Candidates List
NTS List of candidates for interview
NTS list of selected candidates for interview
NTS list of candidates

Lesco said...

lesco bill estimator
bill estimator lesco
lesco online bill

aiyush said...

Bigg Boss 2018 Winner
Bigg Boss 2018 Contestant
Names List

Bigg Boss 12 Voting online Polls
Bigg Boss 2018 Eviction List
Watch Bigg Boss season 12 Live Today

SWOT analysis said...

SWOT analysis of a company
SWOT analysis example
SWOT analysis of a person
SWOT Analysis Templates
swot analysis examples for students

Admin said...

benefits of exercise

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

prize bond draw
all about prize bond
prize bond formula

Anonymous said...

alzheimer's disease symptoms
alzheimer's disease cause
alzheimer's disease prevention
alzheimer's disease meaning

Zee said...

cheapest package forwarding service
myus alternatives

Anonymous said...

I have watched some episodes of thisTv Show

Anonymous said...

big bos vote
bb telugu season 3 voting

Arun vijay said...

https://www.supersingervotes.com - A fresh season of vijay tv super singer vote and result is here, with some extraordinary young abilities. Vijay super singer vote is a option to save your favorite contestant online. Voting ends every Friday 12 noon. You have 50 votes per day.
Super singer vote
Super singer vote result
Super singer latest results

Arun vijay said...

biggbossvotestamil.com - A fresh season of vijay tv Bigg boss tamil vote and result is here, with some extraordinary contestants. Vijay Bigg boss tamil vote season 3 is a option to save your favorite contestant online. Voting ends every Friday 12 noon. You have 50 votes per day.

Bigg boss tamil vote
Bigg boss tamil vote results and count
Bigg boss tamil vote for losliya

Anonymous said...

Bisnis Online
Lembaga Kursus Terbaik Lampung
Lembaga Kursus Terbaik di Indonesia
Service HP Bandar Lampung
Cara Menghidupkan HP Mati Total
Lembaga Kursus Terbaik Lampung
iphone lampung
Acer Lampung
Kursus HP Lampung

Josef said...

intensive driving course
crash course driving test
automatic crash course

Anonymous said...

indian reality tv show bigg boss

bigg boss vote said...

very nice post and useful info, thanks for posting this kind of articles.

bigg boss contestants
bigg boss telugu vote
bigg boss vote

bigg boss vote said...

Really sad to know about the death of Danny Chen at a very young age. But the videos and voice is beautiful. Memories will always remain in the mind and eyes of his fans. Really liked the idea of sharing his videos.
bigg boss vote

Anonymous said...

This the very first reality show of Sony entertainment television call Bigg Boss was hosted by Arshad Warsi. Bigg Boss was started on Sony entertainment television but now it is being streamed on Colors TV. You can say that Bigg Boss follows the Big Brother format, which watches first developed by Endemol in the Netherlands. The Big Boss which is being streamed in India is produced by EndemolShine India. Well knowing about the free first season of Bigg Boss and when did you start I will now discuss Bigg Boss season 13. First, we will start with the overview of Bigg Boss season 13 then we will go to a deep detail about it.




Bigg Boss 4 Vote

Bigg Boss 4 Vote

bigg boss 2 vote

Anonymous said...


biggboss telugu vote
Telugu biggboss 4 vote

Bigg Boss Telugu Season-4 Voting Could be Performed in Online and Offline practices. In the internet method, you’ve plenty of choices, originally, it’s possible to readily perform Bigg Boss Telugu Vote Online through Hotstar app or you also will perform Voting through Hotstar official website.

Josef said...


coil spring replacement

Symptoms of weak coil spring

Bigg Boss Online Vote said...

This types of the recipe are easy to make and sweet as well

Anonymous said...

bigg boss telugu vote
Bigg Boss 14 Voting Poll Online
bigg boss 14 live bigg boss 2020 live
Bigg Boss 14 Contestant list Bigg Boss 14 Voting Poll & Results

neha said...

Dancer Auditions Ipl Live Score 2022 oreo tv apk indian idol 13 vote Bigg Boss 15 Contestants

RSN said...

This is awesome! Thank you very much. If I get time, I will repost this on my blog
Excellent! Just what I was looking for.
house remodeling in whiterock

Aditi Ray said...

Do you want to know about Matthew Patrick Net Worth, early life, biography, age, and relationship status?

Mom Dad Tattoo said...

I was impressed with the quality of content on the blog website. The articles were well-researched and provided valuable insights on a variety of topics. The design of the site is also visually pleasing and easy to navigate. I will definitely be visiting this site again

Rosstribiyani said...

Thank you once for your dedication and for enriching our knowledge with your content. I urge you to continue the fantastic work by publishing more informative articles like this. Your contributions are making a significant difference, and we eagerly await reading more from you in the future. Need assistance with your assignment? Look no further! Your search ends here, as we offer unparalleled finance assignment help in your area. With a team of over 1000 assignment experts, we are prepared to assist you throughout your academic journey.