Sunday, February 26, 2006

Foot to Mouth

I don't mean to regale people with cutesy tales of how our dear little L has turned into her own Typhoid Mary but seriously: L's had a trifecta of childhood viruses, all in the last three months: chicken pox, roseola and now, Coxsackie virus, better known by the charming name of "hand/foot/mouth disease" (not to be confused with bovine "foot/mouth disease" though neither sounds very attractive).

It's no big deal that L's going through all these, after all, as everyone's told us, "at least she's getting them out of the way," but lo and behold: she's passing these onto Sam and I now! So much for the old "all kids get these" adage since apparently, Sam and I ever caught the Coxsackie virus until now. Now both of us have small blisters growing on our palms and toes and while they're not that painful or even annoying, it's a bit weird realizing that we're both going through childhood illnesses some 30 years late.

--Poppa Large

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeesh, poor thing. (all of you, actually) Hope you all feel better soon.

Jen said...

I ended up with a worse case of hand/foot/mouth disease than my daughter did when it hit our house. I felt so bad for her because I knew how much it sucked! It was all down our throats and in our mouths, spread across our hands, and all between our toes. I wouldn't wish that pesky little bug upon my worst enemy.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I thought I was a healthy person, until I had kids.

Anonymous said...

I have nothing but empathy for you. I was healthy once but the last child did me in. And if you think having all the kiddie diseases is bad in your thirtys, try explaining to your boss that you have to stay home with a kiddie disease in your 40s, especially when he has zero recollection of his kids or himself ever having such diseases.

But mostly, I have some bad news: your list is missing a disease. Its called "fifth disease" and it STINKS! Your child will look like you smacked them on the cheeks. If you are like me, you will feel like, [well as a southern friend said when I became a parent, "don't swear, just say it backwards,"] PARC!

great blog, by the way. We are white parents raising an asian american son and an asian american daughter. I expect to learn a lot here.