Friday, February 24, 2006

Kickin' Ass and Changing Lives, Already

To all our new readers surfing in from Angry Asian Man and Blogging Baby and elsewhere, welcome! Rest assured that you are not late to the Rice Daddy party. We've been doing a slow launch since the beginning of February, just getting the word out now, so please browse around and check out our site intro post, as well as the Daddies' individual introductions (and the links to their own personal blogs). And we looove comments, so write often!

Reader John Kang was so happy to find us that he ran back to his own blog and busted out a work-in-progress outline on how to make sure he and his wife pass on culture and identity to their Chinese-Japanese-American babygirl without cramming it down her throat. He said we "immediately inspired" him to write about parenthood for the first time. Cool.

You know what they say: Each one, teach one, reach one. It's what being a Rice Daddy's all about, ya heard? Heh. Shout-outs to CityMama and AAM for the links—though I don't know how I feel about AAM thinking that our kids are "so cute, I want to collect them in a jar." Gotta catch 'em all! Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just came in through the AAM link and I'm glad to find you here. I've got you bookmarked and intend to check in regularly. Haven't had much time to browse through your whole site (I'm actually at work at the moment), but if you take requests, here's mine: I'd love to see a discussion about the Asian-Am Fathers as depicted in the media. I just finished watching Twilight Samurai and was very moved by this portrait of a reluctant samurai, who preferred to spend time with his children, rather than seeking glory with his sword. I don't think I've ever before seen an AAF who was so realistic and heroic in a non-traditional way. Anyway, my 2 cents.

daddy in a strange land said...

Definitely something we're planning, doing "profiles" of both real and fictional Asian American dads, both positve and negative portrayals. Did you see the post linking to an ode to Lone Wolf and Cub from The Blogfathers? Anyway, welcome, and we hope you comment often.

Linda said...

I have to agree - the kids on the top of the front page are unbearably adorable.

Anonymous said...

"Po-ke-MON!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting up the link to my blog entry. Like Jeff Yang, I too, would love to contribute to this blog from time to time...

And I hope to continue learning from everyone else's experiences.