Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Bert, Ernie, what hast thou wrought?

Via Virginia Heffernan in the NYT magazine:
What did they do to us?” asked one Gen-X mother of two, finally. The show rolled, and the sweet trauma came flooding back. What they did to us was hard-core. Man, was that scene rough. The masonry on the dingy brownstone at 123 Sesame Street, where the closeted Ernie and Bert shared a dismal basement apartment, was deteriorating. Cookie Monster was on a fast track to diabetes. Oscar’s depression was untreated. Prozacky Elmo didn’t exist.

Nothing in the children’s entertainment of today, candy-colored animation hopped up on computer tricks, can prepare young or old for this frightening glimpse of simpler times....
Well, that explains a LOT. Good thing our toddlers have more understandable fare to watch these days.

2 comments:

Creative-Type Dad said...

I prefer Sesame Street to the dumb Yo Gabba show anyday.

At least Grover didn't act like he was smoking crack.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I've only smoked crack 2x (okay, maybe thrice), but that might explain why I like that Yo Gabba Gabba show... My mom and my sis say I like the show cuz I'm retarded but they don't know what I like to smoke.

But that must also explain why there haven't been any new episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba lately. They just can't seem to get their shit together...