Sunday, November 30, 2008

On being a Rice Daddy in Cambodia


photo: Stuart Isett for The New York Time

Happy thanksgiving RDs! Hope you all made it thru Black Friday with your credit ratings intact.

Here's a story from the NYT that will make you want to hug your kids a little tighter this morning, the lazy Sunday finale to a 4-day weekend of American history in action.

KK is certainly no angel. Because of a legal technicality, this rice daddy & gang banger ended up being deported to Cambodia, his ancestral home. He's managed to make something good of the situation, and teaches disadvantaged kids the fine art of the Krump.

In an ironic twist, his dancers have been invited to perform here in the US, but as a deportee, KK can't go with them:
“I can’t go,” he said over the thump of the boom box, as his boys jumped and bounced around him like tiny springs. “I can understand that they deported me here. I’d like to go visit — only visit, because I live here now. I have a brand new life.”
The full story is via the NYT. Now go get some hugs.

No comments: