Thursday, February 15, 2007

Book Review Contest: little blue and little yellow


Title: little blue and little yellow
Author/Illustrator: Leo Lionni
Reviewer: Rachel

When I was a kid, one of my favorite picture books was little blue and little yellow by Leo Lionni, and recently I bought a copy of it for my daughter. The illustrations are just blobs of tissue paper. I really wish I'd thought of that first.

In the book two tissue-paper blobs, little blue and little yellow, play together, then hug each other until they turn green. Their parents do not recognize them initially, but later learn to accept their friendship. Little blue and little yellow teaches a simple lesson about colors, and another, more subtle lesson about prejudice. The story is bittersweet, and I love the mid-century simplicity of the art. The language is simple and there are just a few words per page, so it's perfect for the toddler.

You have until February 23 to enter our Blogaversary Children's Book Review Contest to win some great new books. Click here for details and send your submissions to daddyinastrangeland@mac.com.

No comments: