Monday, June 26, 2006

Chopsticks, reinvented by... IKEA?

A tool at the heart of the Asian- Pacific- American experience: chopsticks.

Do you remember learning how to use them? Do you remember teaching a childhood buddy how to use them? How about teaching a co-worker?

What improvements could one think to make on this most elegant of kitchen tools? Fork, tongs, and skewers condensed down into a diptych of forms so simple that they are barely even objects? Who would attempt such a daunting reinvention?

Well, IKEA, that's who!

I picked up a package of these SMAL chopsticks this weekend. OK, so they look a little like, um, marital aids. But, hey, these little fun nubbly bumps are perfect for picking up those slippery bits of pork adobo. And you gotta love those great IKEA colors, which just drain out all the serious this- is- a- history- of- my- people pretensions that come with fancy chopsticks.

These are chopsticks for the modern APA family, no doubt. And I turn over the package and find they were designed by one Amelia Chong. You go, Asian-Pacific-IKEA-Designer girl!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey. No woman would ever mistake a chopstick for a marital aid.

Cute for eating with, though :)

Anonymous said...

why are you eating adobo with chopsticks? No spoon and fork?

thisislarry said...

la dra: I was thinking about the most slippery, saucey, heavy-to-pick up food, and pork adobo is what came to mind! maybe cause I tried to make some the other week and it actually came out decent.

MU: I have two comebacks, both are in bad taste, and one insults my own manhood, so I'll just stop now and agree with you :)

dennis said...

But as a filipino family, would not your time be better spent teaching the young ones to eat neatly using only their fingertips??

The Missus Complains said...

I think they are cute for adults who can't use chopsticks well and for kids learning. I can't remember when I learned to use them but I think at about 2 or so my parents say. I have the cutest photo of one of by baby sisters using them at about 3. They are the best tool ever, I even use them with pasta.

Anonymous said...

oooh, love those. they totally are the greatest tool ever(aside from, perhaps, your fingers) - they are great for more than just asian food. I also like using them for cooking pasta and meat and veggies...more control than tongs and such (at least for me).

Anonymous said...

we got these rookie chopsticks for our 3 year old:

http://www.surlatable.com/common/products/product_details.cfm?PRRFNBR=4859

once he gets the hang of it he can graduate to the IKEA version!

Anonymous said...

rest of URL:

...product_details.cfm?PRRFNBR=4859

Susan said...

It is ALL YOUR FAULT that I went to IKEA for these beautiful $1.99 chopsticks and ended up with two fake-leather chairs, a duvet cover, a nonstick frying pan, and a popsicle form. I'm sending you the bill!!

thisislarry said...

thanks Susan, i almost spit up my iced tea!

I guess I should have warned everybody that I also walked out of there with two kid's lamps, and a new bedroom dresser, which makes for a very expensive set of chopsticks.

Anonymous said...

I d on't know what adobo is, but they'd be great for rice noodles.

thisislarry said...

Violet, I just discovered adobo myself not long ago, from a Hawaiian friend of mine:

http://thisislarry.blogspot.com/ 2005/07/adobo-considered.html

or just go to thisislarry and search for 'adobo'

it's goood stuff.

Personalized chopsticks said...

Chopsticks are indispensable products in Chinese restaurants. Chopsticks are made from a wide range of materials such as wood, metal, stone and bamboo. Chopsticks that can be used continuously are encouraged nowadays, largely in view of environmental concerns.