Thursday, June 29, 2006

MetroDad's APA Parenting Meme

1. I am:
A proud motherf*cking Korean-American man!

2. My kid is:
At the age of 21 months, already showing the wild stubborness and independent streak that has plagued my family for generations.

3. I first realized I was APA when:
When I showed up at kindergarten with a lunchbox filled with kim bop and everyone else was eating these weird things called "PB & J" sandwiches.

4. I am often confused for:
Some Hong Kong actor whom I've never heard of and can't remember.

5. The family tradition I most want to pass on is:
Cooking shabu shabu and sukiyaki together on Sunday afternoons.

6. The family tradition I least want to pass on is:
For a complete list, please contact my therapist and submit a self-addressed stamped envelope for processing. Warning: Documents and files are extremely large.

7. My child's first word in English was:
Quack Quack!

8. My child's first non-English word was:
Ko ("nose" in Korean)

9. The non-English word/phrase most used in my home is:
Fangul! ("F*ck" in Italian)

10. One thing I love about being an APA parent is:
Teaching my daughter to be proud of her background, culture and heritage.

11. One thing I hate about being an APA parent is:
The fear that my daughter may someday face fears and prejudices from which I cannot protect her.

12. The best thing about being part of an APA family is:
Everybody understands where you get your weird tendencies and idiosyncracies (like eating bologna and kimchi sandwiches, screaming at the television, or suddenly having an uncontrollable urge to sing karaoke.)

13. The worst thing about being part of an APA family is:
Dealing with relatives who no longer speak with one another. Koreans are stubburn as elephants and can hold grudges for life.

14. To me, being Asian Pacific American means:
Breaking stereotypes, boundaries and limitations.

2 comments:

Gia-Gina said...

Metro Dad, hate to break it to you but f*ck in Italian is vafanculo. How can your kid know this???

Mama Nabi said...

Can this be true? Metrodad did a meme?? I was soooo close to tagging you again from my meme and making it a tradition - my tagging you for a meme and you neglecting to do them. Gawd, I miss making kimchi sandwiches... if you really want to teach Peanut a random swearword, you can teach her ben-chode... it's Hindi - I'll leave you to figure out what it means. :-D