Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Guess We're Worth Selling To Now?


Momblogger and RL friend Superha just gave me this Skechers ad that she came across in the latest issue of Lucky, the women's shopping magazine. Interesting, huh? Of course, this being Rice Daddies, I gotta ask: if "nothing compares to family," where big poppa at?

'Cause I think I saw him on T.V. today in an ad for Glade Wisp, that little room fragrance thing that spits out scented mist automatically. [Yeah, yeah, so it was during DOOL—it's what mama brought me up on, after all, and babygirl was taking a nap.] Apparently, this ad's been running for at least several months now, and features an Asian American family (mom, dad, two daughters, a son and a dog) spending various moments of the day in mom and dad's bedroom (where the Glad Wisp is, presumably, working its magic). It starts and ends with dad asleep under the covers and mom getting out of/into bed, and includes a nice bit of dad reading to the two youngest on the bed.

Are we like somebody's target demographic now, or what? Asian American families? Imagine that....

6 comments:

The Missus Complains said...

I like this ad and it assumes only women and children buy Sketchers which is not true, but it was in a ladies magazine after all.

The whole family idea without either a mom or a dad, reminds me of Disney's family movies in which either the mom is missing or dead, the dad is missing or dead or both are missing are dead. Not my idea of family.

Anonymous said...

Just another example of how APIA men are excised by the media. Half the time I expect to open my photo album or high school yearbook and see the word "redacted" over my picture. On another note, here's an interesting board for APIA families.

http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=bcus1379841&listMode=1

thisislarry said...

No no no, it's not THAT sinister!

It's marketing to moms, saying, "buying sketchers will bring you and your daughter closer together, and allow you both to appear cool, you cool mom you."

Obviously, Sketchers makes mens shoes as well, but that would as appropriate in Lucky as a feminine pad advert in Playstation Monthly

Superha said...

Hey, what's a RL friend? Am I a really lame blogger for not knowing?

daddy in a strange land said...

Real Life. ;) (Hey, I had to look it up too, I'm a still a newbie!)

daddy in a strange land said...

Hey ka-jun, can you get in touch?
daddyinastrangeland@mac.com
Thanks!

BTW y'all, the line about "where daddy at?" I was kidding. :) This post really was just, hey look, ads focused on AsAm families! But hey, discuss amongst yourselves all you want! ;)