Monday, February 18, 2008

The Ties That Bind Us

I often think about how far blogging's taken me since I first decided to add my voice to the din. A lot of other mombloggers and dadbloggers I've met, especially Asian American ones, started blogging for one of the same reasons I did: to combat isolation, whether along lines of race, gender, geography, or some combination of those factors and more. But a funny thing happened along the way. What started as venting into the void became something more. Venting turned to reaching out, and we found ourselves meeting people we never would've met otherwise, making connections, building communities, becoming friends. And these friendships, support networks and communities are no less real for many of us never having physically met each other offline. That's something I didn't necessarily bargain for when I started blogging, and that's pretty amazing.

All of which is to say that, today, I want to give a shout-out to one tough mama out there in the blogosphere, someone I would've never had the pleasure of meeting had neither of us started blogging, someone who, like many of you, started out as just another URL or another handle in a comment thread but has ended as a friend. She's going through more than her fair share of crap right now, and her friends in the blogosphere just want to remind her of one thing: Keep on keepin' on, MN, cuz you are not alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear hear! I'll raise my fist to that.

Soccer Dad said...

Yeah, MN is quite resilient in the face of hardship. I won't complain as much ever again. Stay up MN!